I did think about doing more than just albums, but, to be quite frank, I’m not sure it would be that interesting. I’ve watched 1 film that was released this year, Manchester By The Sea; I thought that was excellent. I’ve played 1 game; Super Mario Odyssey. That too, is excellent. I’ve enjoyed every gig I’ve attended also. Glastonbury was a blast. I’ve found some pretty good coffee shops, all of which serve great coffee. Can I tell the difference? No.
So, here are my 10 favourite albums of 2017. In no real order.
10. Cigarettes After Sex – Cigarettes After Sex
9. Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps
8. Broken Social Scene – Hug of Thunder
7. The xx – I See You
6. Howie Payne – Mountain
5. Mark Lanegan Band – Gargoyle
4. Mogwai – Every Country’s Sun
3. Shout Out Louds – Ease My Mind
2. Ride – Weather Diaries
1. The War On Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
Notable mentions: Liam Gallagher – As You Were; Baxter Dury – Prince of Tears; Big Thief – Capacity; British Sea Power – Let The Dancers Inherit The Party; Four Tet – New Energy; Hello Skinny – Watermelon Sun; The National – Sleep Well Beast.
All in all, a pretty good year for music. Have a good Christmas and New Year.